Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Psalm 142 (143)

Lord, show me your mercy at daybreak.

Lord, listen to my prayer:

in your faithfulness turn your ear to my pleading;

in your justice, hear me.

Do not judge your servant:

nothing that lives can justify itself before you. ...

Come quickly and hear me, O Lord,

for my spirit is weakening.

Do not hide your face from me,

do not let me be like the dead,

who go down to the underworld.

Show me your mercy at daybreak,

because of my trust in you.

Tell me the way I should follow,

for I lift up my soul towards you.

Rescue me from my enemies:

Lord, I flee to you for refuge.

Teach me to do your will,

for you are my God.

Your good spirit will lead me to the land of justice;

for your name’s sake, Lord, you will give me life.

In your righteousness you will lead my soul

away from all tribulation.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,

world without end.

Amen.

Lord, show me your mercy at daybreak.

Psalm 146 (147A)

Let us give joyful praise to our God.

Praise the Lord!

It is good to sing praise to our God;

it is a joy to sing his praises. ...

He heals broken hearts

and binds up their wounds.

He counts all the stars;

he calls each of them by name.

Our God is great and great is his strength,

his wisdom is not to be measured.

The Lord supports the needy,

( but crushes the wicked to the ground.) ...

He covers the sky with his clouds,

he makes rain to refresh the earth.

He makes grass grow on the hills,

and plants for the service of man.

He gives food to grazing animals,

and feeds the young ravens that call on him.

He takes no delight in the strength of the horse,

no pleasure in the strength of a man.

The Lord is pleased by those who honour him,

by those who trust in his kindness.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,

as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,

world without end.

Amen.

Let us give joyful praise to our God.

At the break of day I will reflect on you, O Lord.

Lord, make your people know your salvation, and forgive us our sins.

You created humans in your image and in Christ you renewed us:

shape us in the image of your Son.

Lord, you are our life.

From Pope Benedict’s Homily in Lisbon during Fatima visit May 2010:

Always seek the Lord Jesus, grow in friendship with him, receive him in communion. Learn to listen to his word and also to recognize him in the poor. Live your lives with joy and enthusiasm, sure of his presence and of his unconditional, generous friendship, faithful even to death on the cross. Bear witness to all of the joy that his strong yet gentle presence evokes, starting with your contemporaries. Tell them that it is beautiful to be a friend of Jesus and that it is well worth following him. With your enthusiasm, demonstrate that, among all the different ways of life that the world today seems to offer us – apparently all on the same level – the only way in which we find the true meaning of life and hence true and lasting joy, is by following Jesus.

The latest version of the eschatological hope of modern human progress – but I do, more or less, agree with it. (How could I not?) Hopefully we just don’t destroy ourselves first.

From Matt Riddley in the Wall Street Journal:

“... ideas are having sex with each other as never before.”

Genetic diversity seems good for the species so why not cultural diversity too. Besides, I can’t help it. I think anthropologically.

A new Archbishop in LA - Does this mean anything?

“... in the audience was Cardinal Juan Luis Cipriani of Lima, Peru, a controversial prelate who is said to be a close friend of Gomez. Cipriani, who has clashed with human rights groups in Peru, is the first Catholic cardinal to be trained by the theologically conservative Opus Dei organization, which also trained Gomez.”

The Lord has defeated your enemies for you.

No comments: